What is BETASERON?4
- BETASERON is a prescription medicine used to reduce the number of relapses in people with relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis (MS). This includes people who have had their first symptoms of MS and have an MRI consistent with multiple sclerosis. BETASERON is similar to certain interferon proteins that are produced in the body. It will not cure MS but may decrease the number of flare-ups of the disease.
- It is not known if BETASERON is safe and effective in children.
Who should not take BETASERON?4
- Do not take BETASERON if you are allergic to interferon beta-1b, to another interferon beta, to human albumin, or mannitol. See Medication Guide for a complete list of ingredients in BETASERON.
How should I store BETASERON?
- Before mixing, store BETASERON at room temperature between 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C).
- Before mixing, BETASERON may be stored for up to 3 months between 59°F to 86°F (15°C to 30°C).
- After mixing, you can refrigerate BETASERON for up to 3 hours before using. Your BETASERON must be used within 3 hours of mixing even if refrigerated.
- Do not freeze.
- Keep BETASERON and all medicines out of the reach of children.
What are the ingredients in BETASERON?4
- Active ingredient: interferon beta-1b
- Inactive ingredients: albumin (human), mannitol
- Diluent contains sodium chloride solution
BETASERON® (interferon beta-1b) is a prescription medicine used to reduce the number of relapses in people with relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis (MS). This includes people who have had their first symptoms of multiple sclerosis and have an MRI consistent with multiple sclerosis. BETASERON will not cure MS but may decrease the number of flare-ups of the disease.
Do I need to disinfect the vial after taking off the cap?
- Use an alcohol prep pad to clean the top of the vial. Move the alcohol prep pad in one direction. Leave the alcohol prep pad on top of the vial. Wipe in one direction only—NOT back and forth—so you don’t spread germs.
How do I best connect the syringe to the vial adapter?
- Connect the pre-filled diluent syringe to the vial adapter by turning clockwise until resistance is felt and the attachment is secure. This forms the syringe assembly. Taking care not to overtighten, turn the syringe clockwise, no more than 3 turns, until the 2 pieces are securely connected. It doesn’t take much force.
How do I avoid bubbles and foam when diluting the medication?
- Never shake the vial; it doesn’t speed up the mixing, and it can cause foam to form. If there is foam, let the vial sit until the foam settles before using it.
- Hold the assembled syringe with the vial on the bottom and tilt the vial just slightly to the side. This will help prevent bubbles from forming.
What do I do with my used syringes?
- Put your used BETASERON syringe and needle in an FDA-cleared sharps disposal container right away after use. Do not throw away (dispose of) your used syringes and needles in your household trash. When the container is full, ask your pharmacist, healthcare provider, or BETA Nurse how to dispose of it.
Important Safety Information (cont'd)
Do not take BETASERON (interferon beta-1b) if you are allergic to interferon beta-1b, to another interferon beta, to human albumin, or mannitol.
BETASERON can cause serious side effects, including:
Liver Problems Including Liver Failure. Symptoms of liver problems may include yellowing of your eyes, itchy skin, feeling very tired, flu-like symptoms, nausea or vomiting, bruising easily or bleeding problems. Your healthcare provider will do blood tests to check for these problems while you take BETASERON.
If assistance is needed during setting up, using, or maintaining BETACONNECT, contact your BETA Nurse or healthcare provider.
How do I turn on the BETACONNECT autoinjector?
- First, make sure the BETACONNECT autoinjector is fully charged. Then firmly press the on/off button for more than 2 seconds.
My BETACONNECT autoinjector turns off automatically. What should I do?
- BETACONNECT autoinjector will automatically turn off after 20 minutes of inactivity. Press the on/off button to turn on.
- BETACONNECT autoinjector will power off if the battery level is too low. Recharge your BETACONNECT autoinjector if the battery indicator flashes orange when you turn your device on.
Can I use the BETACONNECT autoinjector while it’s being charged?
- The BETACONNECT autoinjector will not operate while it is being charged. Fully charge the BETACONNECT autoinjector and remove the charger before use.
I’m unable to open the lid.
- The lid cannot be opened during the injection process. Wait until the injection process is completed.
- If the lid or the blue lid release button does not function, ask your BETA Nurse or healthcare provider for a replacement.
I can’t inject by activating the safety release.
- If the safety release does not function, ask your BETA Nurse or healthcare provider for a replacement.
It is not possible to charge the BETACONNECT autoinjector.
- You might be using the wrong micro-USB cable or charger. Make sure you use the charger and cables that come with your BETACONNECT autoinjector.
- The micro-USB connection could be worn out. Ask your BETA Nurse or healthcare provider for a replacement.
I can’t insert the syringe into the BETACONNECT autoinjector.
- The wrong syringe type is being used. Use only the syringes that come with your BETASERON.
- The syringe might not be placed into the insertion area correctly. Make sure that the syringe is lined up with the syringe outline in the insertion area.
- The syringe could be prepared incorrectly. Refer to the instructions in the BETASERON Medication Guide, and prepare a new syringe if necessary.
- The plunger is pulled past the 1-mL mark.
The green light on the on/off button does not stop blinking after the BETACONNECT autoinjector was turned on.
- The self-test is not completed. Make sure the safety release in the front of the BETACONNECT autoinjector is not pressed. Open the lid and close the lid. Make sure the lid is fully closed. Make sure no buttons are pressed down. Hold the on/off button to shut down BETACONNECT autoinjector, and turn it on again.
- If the problem is not solved, contact your healthcare provider or call a BETA Nurse at 1-844-788-1470.
A red blinking light is showing on the BETACONNECT autoinjector.
- The injection procedure could have been interrupted. If the injection was interrupted, check to see that the entire dose was injected. If it was not, talk with your BETA Nurse or healthcare provider.
- BETACONNECT could be detecting a malfunction. Hold the on/off button down to shut down BETACONNECT autoinjector and turn it on again. If the red blinking light is still there, talk with your healthcare provider or call a BETA Nurse at 1-844-788-1470.
An orange light is shown on the BETACONNECT autoinjector during charging.
- The temperature is too low or too high for charging. The BETACONNECT autoinjector can be recharged at a temperature from 50°F to 95°F (10°C to 35°C).
How do I activate the Bluetooth® technology in my BETACONNECT device?
- Bluetooth® technology is already built into your BETACONNECT. In order to activate this technology, download myBETAapp. Once you pair myBETAapp and your BETACONNECT, the BLUETOOTH technology within will be activated.
How do I pair my BETACONNECT autoinjector with myBETAapp?
- Log into myBETAapp and follow the instructions. During the initial setup, you will be prompted to pair your device.
What if I have multiple BETACONNECT devices?
- It is possible to pair more than one BETACONNECT autoinjector to the app. The injection data from all devices you pair will be shown in your injection history.
Do I need a new BETACONNECT to pair with myBETAapp?
- No. The Bluetooth technology is already within every BETACONNECT autoinjector. When you pair myBETAapp to any BETACONNECT for the first time, the Bluetooth technology is activated
- If you have been injecting using a BETACONNECT, your injection history such as date, time, injection speed and depth that has been stored on the device will automatically be transferred to myBETAapp.
- If you have a new BETACONNECT, the data from every injection you take will be stored in myBETAapp.
Important Safety Information (cont'd)
BETASERON can cause serious side effects, including:
Serious Allergic Reactions. Serious allergic reactions can happen quickly and may happen after your first dose of BETASERON or after you have taken BETASERON many times. Symptoms may include difficulty breathing or swallowing, swelling of the mouth or tongue, rash, itching, or skin bumps.
Where can I download myBETAapp and does it cost anything?
- You can download myBETAapp™ onto your smartphone, tablet, or computer. To download myBETAapp onto your mobile device, install the app from the Apple® App Store or Google® Play Store. To download onto your computer, follow the instructions to install for Microsoft Windows or Apple Mac. myBETAapp is free to use.
Do I have to be a BETASERON patient to use myBETAapp?
- Yes, myBETAapp is intended for BETASERON patients only. Ask your doctor if BETASERON is right for you. myBETAapp is a key part of the BETACONNECT system which consists of the BETACONNECT autoinjector, myBETAapp, and BETACONNECT Navigator. The components of the BETACONNECT system are designed to work together for a connected treatment experience.
I already have myBETAapp on my mobile device, do I need to download the current myBETAapp?
- Yes. To take advantage of the proactive support that comes with the current myBETAapp, you will need to download from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. The expired version of myBETAapp will no longer be supported. Please open your expired myBETAapp and follow the instructions to download your data that has been stored in the app. You can generate a PDF and email your data to yourself. Please note your data stored on your expired myBETAapp will not be transferred to the current app.
What do I do with the expired myBETAapp?
- Please open your expired myBETAapp and follow the instructions to download your data that has been stored in the app over time. You can generate a PDF and email your data to yourself for your records. You can then delete the expired myBETAapp and download the current myBETAapp.
Do I need an Internet connection to use myBETAapp?
- Yes. To use myBETAapp you must have an Internet connection because the app and your data are accessed via a secure remote server. In order for myBETAapp to share your injection data with your BETA Nurse and or healthcare team, an Internet connection is required.
Do I need to register to use myBETAapp?
- Yes, you will be prompted to setup an account when you first launch myBETAapp on your smartphone, tablet or computer. Follow the Instructions for Use during the setup process and register with an email address and private password.
Where can I find the product ID needed to register for myBETAapp?
- In most cases, the product ID requested is located on your BETASERON package. In other cases, you may have received a code or PIN from a healthcare professional. Follow the on-screen instructions carefully when using myBETAapp, as they may provide a telephone number to call for further assistance.
How do I pair my myBETAapp with BETACONNECT?
- Log into myBETAapp and follow the instructions in the app. During the initial setup, you will be prompted to pair your device.
Is my personal and medical information secure?
- Yes, your personal and medical data is secured with safeguards in place, as described in the Privacy Statement.
Why should I share my injection data?
- When you share your injection data with your BETA Nurse and healthcare team, your BETA Nurse can follow your injection data through a secure software called BETACONNECT Navigator, which is for healthcare professional use only. This allows your BETA Nurse to proactively support your care by communicating with you about your therapy.
When I enable sharing, who can see my injection data?
- When you share your injection data, your BETA Nurse and healthcare team, including your physician and pharmacist, can see your data. In order for your healthcare team to gain access to your injection data, a BETA Nurse will contact you to complete the setup.
If I enable sharing, which data can be seen by my BETA Nurse and healthcare team?
- Your BETA Nurse and your healthcare team will be able to view your injection data, including injection date, time, speed and depth. The information you put into the Wellness Tracker is only viewable by you.
Which data can my BETA Nurse or healthcare team see if I enable data sharing?
- If you record manually or you are using BETACONNECT your BETA Nurse or healthcare team will be able to get information on your injection, e.g. injection date, dose volume, injection speed, needle depth, and injection site
If I enable sharing data, how will myBETAapp know who my healthcare professionals are?
- In order for your healthcare team to gain access to your injection data, a BETA Nurse will contact you to find out which healthcare professionals you will be connecting to your account. Once you provide this information, a BETA Nurse will complete the setup.
My BETACONNECT injections do not appear in myBETAapp. What should I do?
- The injection data from the BETACONNECT autoinjector will be transferred automatically to your myBETAapp account whenever the BETACONNECT autoinjector is powered on and within range of your mobile device. myBETAapp must be open and running on your phone or device, in order for the data transfer to occur. Note that Bluetooth must be enabled and your BETACONNECT autoinjector must be near your mobile device. If the problem persists, contact your BETA Nurse.
Why does my "suggested next injection site" function not include all of the injection sites?
- Confirm that you have not disabled any of the injection sites in the SETTINGS screen. If you have done so, the sites suggestion function will automatically skip any injection site that you deselected.
I am no longer receiving email notifications to record injection data. What should I do?
- Confirm that email notification is enabled in the SETTINGS screen. In addition, check your spam or junk email folder in your email account to ensure that notifications have not mistakenly been categorized as spam.
- If you disable data sharing in your myBETAapp you will not be able to receive the email data reminder notifications.
Can I print my recorded injection history from myBETAapp?
- You can print your recorded injection history using the print feature in your browser on your computer. However, the list of recorded injections has not been formatted specifically for printing. Additionally, from the RECORDED INJECTIONS in the MENU you can export your injection history into a PDF document or a CSV file, which can be printed or shared further.
When recording my injections, what do the 3 colors represent?
- myBETAapp uses 3 colors to represent injection activity. Green indicates a recorded injection. Red indicates an injection not recorded. Blue indicates a scheduled injection.
What is the BETACONNECT™ Navigator?
- When you share your injection data, it is sent from myBETAapp to your BETA Nurse and healthcare team (including your physician and pharmacist) via a secure cloud server to software called the BETACONNECT Navigator. This software is for healthcare professionals only and allows your BETA Nurse and healthcare team to see injection date, time, speed, and depth, for every injection you record using myBETAapp.
Do I have to enter my email address and password every time I access myBETAapp?
- By default you will need to use your email address and password every time you log in to myBETAapp. myBETAapp will automatically log you out after 30 minutes of inactivity for security reasons. However, you can allow myBETAapp™ to remember your login, so you are logged in automatically without entering your email address and password every time, for 90 days. This option is available in the LOGIN OPTIONS in SETTINGS in the MENU.
Where can I find the myBETAapp installer that I downloaded on my computer?
- The myBETAapp installer can typically be found in the Downloads folder on your computer. For more information about downloads, see the “Help” feature in your specific web browser.
I forgot my password. How can I retrieve it?
- If you do not remember the password you specified during registration, you may reset it from the LOGIN screen. Select Forgot your password? and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an email message containing a link to reset your password. You will receive an email confirmation that your password has been changed.
I forgot my username. How can I retrieve it?
- The username is typically your email address. If you do not remember your username/email address contact the myBETAapp technical support hotline at 1-844-351-5696.
I keep getting logged out of myBETAapp. How do I stay logged in?
- For security reasons, you cannot stay logged into myBETAapp indefinitely. You will have to re-enter your email address and password after 30 minutes of inactivity. To simplify the login process, you can allow myBETAapp to remember your login for 90 days.
Can I install myBETAapp on more than one computer, tablet device, or mobile device?
- Yes, you can install myBETAapp on any number of computers or mobile devices as long as they are supported platforms.
Does myBETAapp on my computer sync with the app for my mobile device?
- Yes. When you use myBETAapp, your smartphone, tablet, and computer share the same secure cloud server. Your data will be available from any of your devices as long as you sign in using the same email address.
My computer or mobile device was lost or stolen. Can I still access my recorded injection history?
- Yes. Since your recorded injection history and other information is stored in the cloud, install myBETAapp on your new computer or mobile device and log in with your existing myBETAapp account. If you use a BETACONNECT autoinjector, you will need to reconnect it to myBETAapp (see Connecting BETACONNECT to myBETAapp).
My computer or mobile device was upgraded. Will my data be transferred onto my new device?
- If you are using myBETAapp for iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad, your data can be transferred onto your new device if you have backed up your device by syncing with iTunes or iCloud, and you did not delete the app from your device. It is very important that you sync your device regularly for this reason. If you are using myBETAapp for Android or your personal computer, your data is stored on a secure, remote server and can be accessed from a new device when you sign in.
How do I uninstall myBETAapp?
- To uninstall myBETAapp, follow the same process that you would use to remove other software or apps from your computer or mobile device. Note that uninstalling myBETAapp does not delete your myBETAapp account or your data. You can access your data by reinstalling myBETAapp or using it on a different computer or mobile device.
How do I delete my myBETAapp account and all of my data?
- To delete your account and data, select SETTINGS from the MENU. Select Delete Account to delete your account and follow the prompts to confirm that you wish to take this action. Your account and data will be completely deleted.
I received an error message. What should I do?
I am still having problems using myBETAapp. What should I do?
- In case the program is not responding you may try to restart the application or reboot your computer/mobile device. If you continue to experience problems, please contact the myBETAapp technical support hotline at: 1-844-351-5696 available from 6am-6pm EST.
Important Safety Information (cont'd)
BETASERON can cause serious side effects, including:
Depression or Suicidal Thoughts. Call your healthcare provider right away if you have any of the following symptoms, especially if they are new, worse or worry you: thoughts about suicide or dying, new or worse depression (sinking feeling or sadness), new or worse anxiety (feeling uneasy, nervous or fearful for no reason), trouble sleeping (insomnia), acting aggressive, being angry, or violent, acting on dangerous impulses, hallucinations, other unusual changes in behavior or mood.